What Are The Covington County Commission Holiday Closures For 2019

The Covington County Commission will be closed the entire day in observance of the following holidays in 2019:

Tuesday, January 1                  New Year's Day

Monday, January 21                 King/Lee Birthdays

Monday, February 18               Presidents Day

Monday, April 22                      Confederate Memorial Day

Manday, June 3                        Jefferson Davis' Birthday

Thurday, July 4                         Independence Day

Monday, September 2              Labor Day

Monday, October 14                 Columbus day

Monday, November 11             Veterans' Day

Thursday November 28 &

Friday, Novebmer 29                Thanksgiving

Tuesday, December 24 &

Wednesday, December 25       Christmas


Can you help me find a job?

Keep an eye on our Jobs page for a listing of jobs.

Who do I contact to help with ... ?

Our County Services and Courts pages have a listing of a wide variety of our services, such as voter help, court info, law enforcement and more.

My family would like to attend an upcoming event - how do I find one?

Feel free to view our Upcoming Events calendar for local events and programs.

What are the hours of operation for the Veterans Affairs Office?

The Veterans Affairs Office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.  For your convenience scheduled closings will be posted on our Upcoming Events page.  

When following GPS and the online maps' directions to The Covington County Water Authority they take me to the incorrect location on Hillcrest Drive. Are there better directions?

Yes, even though the correct address is reported with most GPS and online maps, directions usually will bring you to the Administration Building on Hillcrest Drive.  The Covington County Water Authority is actually a few miles away on Tracks Lane.  We apologize for any inconvenience and online map publishers have been contacted to correct the issue.


If leaving Court Square in Andalusia you would go East on East 3 Notch Street.  East 3 Notch Street will bend around to the left (about 3/4 mile from Court Square) at which time you will be prepared to bare off to the right.  This right will put you on Sanford Road (The BB&T Bank is now on your left).  Approximately 1/2 mile down Sanford Road you will cautiously cross railroad tracks.  The immediate left is Tracks Lane.  Proceed ahead for approximately 1/2 mile and the Covington County Water Authority (driveway) will be on your right.  The signage is quite visible from the road. 

note:  A suitable map will be posted on the Covington County Water Authority page on this website soon.

Covington County Water Authority page:

Where do I vote?

Click here to search for polling place using your address or contact the County Board of Registrars.

Where do I file a land deed?

Land deeds are filed in the Probate Judge's office.

How do I obtain a 911 address?

To obtain a 911 address, please call (334) 427-4911 -or- come by 300 West Watson Street in Andalusia, Monday through Friday; 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

How do I obtain a passport?

You can visit the Probate Judge's office and bring 2 passport photos, a birth certificate with a seal, and a picture id.  It takes about six weeks to receive your passport.

How do I vote absentee?

You can request a ballot up to 45 days in advance through the mail, or you can visit the Circuit Clerk's office.

How do I register to vote?

The minimum voting age is 18.  You must register at least 30 days prior to any election to be entitled to vote in that election.  In order to register, visit the Board of Registrars' office.  It is helpful to know your 911 address and social security number.

Do I need a license or a permit to open a business?

Yes. If the business is located inside the city limits, a license will be issued by the city. If the business is outside of the city limits and inside the county, the county Probate Judge's office will issue your license.

When I sell my car, do I keep the tag?

Yes. You may also be eligible for a credit against future taxes. If the tag has not expired, take the tag and your original receipt to the Probate Judge's office for a credit voucher.

Where do I get a car tag / license plate?

Car and truck tags are issued by the Probate Judge's office. You have 20 calendar days from the date of purchase to register your vehicle. New residents moving from another state have 30 days to obtain a new plate.  It is helpful to bring your automobile registration and/or title.  New residents from another county in Alabama can wait until their next renewal to change plates. Tags are usually valid for a period of one year from the date they are issued.  

How do I file for homestead exemption?

Taxpayers can file for an extension year round per the "Tax Payer Convenience Act."